A rising emcee and beatsmith who calls Southern California home, Kennedy Jones makes his grand entrance into The DJBooth with new promo single Let’s Get Down. Jones does his own production on this joint, building his breezy, sensual instrumental around a sampled line from Marvin Gaye’s Sexual Healing. Over that mood-setting backdop, he rhymes about a chick of his acquaintance whom he’s been aching to kick it with ever since she broke up with her last man. They exchange numbers early on but, frustratingly, that lusted-after call or text never seems to come. Finally, he decides not to sweat it and buries itself in his work, only to be surprised by a flirtatious message from the woman in question. Jones uses the cut’s narrative to impart a broader message about the importance of respect and gentlemanly behavior when dealing with the opposite sex. As he puts it on the back, “Women a gift from heaven, not to be taken advantage of.” Let’s Get Down is just a loosie, but those feeling it should stay tuned. We in The Booth will keep you posted on his plans as further details surface.
Written by richard on 03/14/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.