UPDATE: Click “Watch Video” above to view the brand new video for Swimming Pools (Drank).
Hip-hop’s never been shy about drinking, but in recent years rappers seem to have taken liver-destruction to a new level. No longer are they content to merely get drunk, now only Swimming Pools full of liquor will do. Coming on the heels of The Recipe, Kendrick Lamar‘s second single, Swimming Pools (Drank), brings in super producer T-Minus for a blurry and faded beat that fits the track’s hypnotic concept perfectly. And while at first Drank may sound like just another booze fest, this is Kendrick Lamar, and sure enough the always complex emcee delves into the dark side of knocking back all those shots, at one point even giving voice to a conscience that warns him that he’s on the verge of collapse. If Kendrick keeps coming with releases like this expect the buzz around his TDE/Aftermath/Interscope debut album, good kid m.A.A.d city, to reach a fever pitch come October 2.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/3/12
Submit your Rating
Aftermath / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.