UPDATE: Click “Watch Video” above to view the brand new video for Swimming Pools (Drank).
Hip-hop’s never been shy about drinking, but in recent years rappers seem to have taken liver-destruction to a new level. No longer are they content to merely get drunk, now only Swimming Pools full of liquor will do. Coming on the heels of The Recipe, Kendrick Lamar‘s second single, Swimming Pools (Drank), brings in super producer T-Minus for a blurry and faded beat that fits the track’s hypnotic concept perfectly. And while at first Drank may sound like just another booze fest, this is Kendrick Lamar, and sure enough the always complex emcee delves into the dark side of knocking back all those shots, at one point even giving voice to a conscience that warns him that he’s on the verge of collapse. If Kendrick keeps coming with releases like this expect the buzz around his TDE/Aftermath/Interscope debut album, good kid m.A.A.d city, to reach a fever pitch come October 2.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/3/12
I’ve heard people say that rappers don’t make classic albums anymore, but the truth is we don’t let rappers make classic albums anymore. As I’ve written before, the definition of a classic album is one that stands the...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.