As homo sapien of the male persuasion, I can’t even begin to imagine expending the time and energy women routinely put forth in order to live up to societal standards of perfection. Appreciative of the effort his girl puts into her appearance but aware that cosmetics can be used to hide as well as enhance it, Kendrick Lamar makes a request on the latest single off his Booth-acclaimed #Section 80 street album: “No Make-up today.” Over Sounwave‘s pensive piano chords and reverb-drenched breakbeat, the freestyle series alumnus forges into territory rarely explored in rap, delving deep into the minutiae of female grooming: “Concentrating on the way the eyeliner thickens, I stand behind her and try to figure her vision.” And it’s not just an ode to au naturel looks—Lamar expands upon the theme to touch upon issues of racial insecurity (“I hate my lips, my nose, my eyebrows”) and even domestic violence. Complete with a studio-enhanced hook by Colin Munroe, as well as guest vocals from a sadly (ironically?) uncredited female collaborator, this is just the beginning of the dope and thought-provoking material on #Section 80, recently awarded 4.5 out of 5 spins from our own Nathan S.
Written by richard on 08/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.