HiiPower, Sex With Society and Ronald Reagan Era, the previous Booth-featured leaks off Kendrick Lamar‘s forthcoming street album, were (respectively) a politically-charged lyrical tour de force, a pornographically freaky street banger, and another politically-charged lyrical tour de force. Thus, if the pattern holds, we can expect to hear more about the West Coast emcee’s erotic fantasies on numero quatre, right? Indeed—Hol’ Up opens with the West Coast buzzmaker sitting in first class, contemplating asking a sexy stewardess to induct him into the Mile-High Club: “If I can f*ck her in front of all of these passengers, they’ll probably think I’m a terrorist.” While braggadocio and debauchery are the order of the day, the freestyle series alum‘s manifest mic skills and personality-drenched style (along with a few disarming insights into his history: “I lived my twenties at two years old”) make this cut an illuminating listen—and beatsmith Sounwave‘s blissfully mellow, brass-sampled beat elevates it to “can’t miss” status. But enough outta me; are you digging it? Then be sure to cop Kendrick’s latest release, #Section80, when it hits the ‘net July 2.
Listen to More: Kendrick Lamar
Written by richard on 06/26/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.