What? No Rick Ross premiere today? Don’t fear Booth heads, west coast emcee and DJBooth Freestyle alum Kendrick Lamar is back with a breezy fresh tune for our earholes guaranteed to satisfy your daily dose of dopeness. After the leak of the unfinished P&P video, Lamar felt the need to deliver another quality product to listeners, and he doesn’t disappoint with the deeply personal Growing Apart. On the production tip TaeBeast provides a smooth melody that compliments Kendrick’s somber tone with a slowly circling beat. Topping off the track is a sultry vocal feature from newcomer Jhené Aiko, which makes even the darkest of Lamar’s bars - “I tried to make it right, but my pen ran out of ink/ so if my letters don’t reach you, I hope my lyrics in sync” - seem light. If this track doesn’t compel you to slow down and appreciate good music, the whole music industry might all be in trouble. If you liked this true form hip-hop, be sure to keep a lookout for his latest project, Kendrick Lamar OD, dropping later this summer.
Written by Sigurd on 07/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.