What? No Rick Ross premiere today? Don’t fear Booth heads, west coast emcee and DJBooth Freestyle alum Kendrick Lamar is back with a breezy fresh tune for our earholes guaranteed to satisfy your daily dose of dopeness. After the leak of the unfinished P&P video, Lamar felt the need to deliver another quality product to listeners, and he doesn’t disappoint with the deeply personal Growing Apart. On the production tip TaeBeast provides a smooth melody that compliments Kendrick’s somber tone with a slowly circling beat. Topping off the track is a sultry vocal feature from newcomer Jhené Aiko, which makes even the darkest of Lamar’s bars - “I tried to make it right, but my pen ran out of ink/ so if my letters don’t reach you, I hope my lyrics in sync” - seem light. If this track doesn’t compel you to slow down and appreciate good music, the whole music industry might all be in trouble. If you liked this true form hip-hop, be sure to keep a lookout for his latest project, Kendrick Lamar OD, dropping later this summer.
Written by Sigurd on 07/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)