In summer of ‘08, a West Coast up-and-comer by the name of K. Dot brought us Hater Love, a single which met a lukewarm response from Booth readers. Though many praised Cool & Dre‘s production, the consensus seemed to be that the artist’s Weezy-inspired flow and delivery weren’t cutting it. Well, a lot can change in a year. Fast-forward to fall ‘09 and the emcee’s back on our front page with a new stage name and a sound so different that I initially had a hard time believing K. Dot and Kendrick Lamar were the same person. This newly-leaked track off the artist’s forthcoming, self-titled EP finds Lamar more Determined than ever to win over the Booth readership. Accompanied by Soundwave‘s uptempo, piano-string-brass boardwork (anyone recognize the samples?), the artist describes his towering ambitions in agile, propulsively-flowed verses. Digging this rising star’s overhauled rhyme style? Keep it locked to DJBooth.net for the latest on Kendrick Lamar: The EP, due out “soon.”
Written by richard on 10/27/09
Submit your Rating
Aftermath / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.