It’s a celebration b**tches! (Excuse my profanity, I couldn’t resist.) Rick James references aside, we’re all gathered here today because Los Angeles based up-and-comer Kendrick Lamar is not your stereotypical Compton rapper, and Celebration is not your typical hip-hop track. Built around some appropriately triumphant production from Sounwave (is that a xylophone I hear?), Celebration is the perfect backdrop for Lamar to spit his relatable but never soft rhymes, touching on everything from political Malcom X references to his teenage relationships (which apparently involved a lot of “humping”). Hey, if that’s not reason to celebrate I don’t know what is. More importantly, with tracks like these Lamar is beginning to build some much deserved hype, so when he’s major in 2011 you’ll be able to say you knew him when. Celebration is off the recently released Kendrick Lamar EP, available now, and if that’s not enough, stay tuned for a DJBooth freestyle from the young west coast emcee coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/6/10
Submit your Rating
Aftermath / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.