It’s a celebration b**tches! (Excuse my profanity, I couldn’t resist.) Rick James references aside, we’re all gathered here today because Los Angeles based up-and-comer Kendrick Lamar is not your stereotypical Compton rapper, and Celebration is not your typical hip-hop track. Built around some appropriately triumphant production from Sounwave (is that a xylophone I hear?), Celebration is the perfect backdrop for Lamar to spit his relatable but never soft rhymes, touching on everything from political Malcom X references to his teenage relationships (which apparently involved a lot of “humping”). Hey, if that’s not reason to celebrate I don’t know what is. More importantly, with tracks like these Lamar is beginning to build some much deserved hype, so when he’s major in 2011 you’ll be able to say you knew him when. Celebration is off the recently released Kendrick Lamar EP, available now, and if that’s not enough, stay tuned for a DJBooth freestyle from the young west coast emcee coming soon.
Listen to More: Kendrick Lamar
Written by Nathan S. on 01/6/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.