It’s a celebration b**tches! (Excuse my profanity, I couldn’t resist.) Rick James references aside, we’re all gathered here today because Los Angeles based up-and-comer Kendrick Lamar is not your stereotypical Compton rapper, and Celebration is not your typical hip-hop track. Built around some appropriately triumphant production from Sounwave (is that a xylophone I hear?), Celebration is the perfect backdrop for Lamar to spit his relatable but never soft rhymes, touching on everything from political Malcom X references to his teenage relationships (which apparently involved a lot of “humping”). Hey, if that’s not reason to celebrate I don’t know what is. More importantly, with tracks like these Lamar is beginning to build some much deserved hype, so when he’s major in 2011 you’ll be able to say you knew him when. Celebration is off the recently released Kendrick Lamar EP, available now, and if that’s not enough, stay tuned for a DJBooth freestyle from the young west coast emcee coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/6/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.