It’s a celebration b**tches! (Excuse my profanity, I couldn’t resist.) Rick James references aside, we’re all gathered here today because Los Angeles based up-and-comer Kendrick Lamar is not your stereotypical Compton rapper, and Celebration is not your typical hip-hop track. Built around some appropriately triumphant production from Sounwave (is that a xylophone I hear?), Celebration is the perfect backdrop for Lamar to spit his relatable but never soft rhymes, touching on everything from political Malcom X references to his teenage relationships (which apparently involved a lot of “humping”). Hey, if that’s not reason to celebrate I don’t know what is. More importantly, with tracks like these Lamar is beginning to build some much deserved hype, so when he’s major in 2011 you’ll be able to say you knew him when. Celebration is off the recently released Kendrick Lamar EP, available now, and if that’s not enough, stay tuned for a DJBooth freestyle from the young west coast emcee coming soon.
Listen to More: Kendrick Lamar
Written by Nathan S. on 01/6/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.