Currently sitting at number on on the Booth’s own Rap Chart, Compton was as much of an event as it was a record, featuring Kendrick Lamar trading bars with G-funk pioneer Dr. Dre over a beat whose vocoded flourishes seemed designed to evoke 2Pac‘s classic California Love. It’s tough to top the epic scope of a cut like that—so, wisely, Kendrick Lamar isn’t trying. Instead, for the latest song release off the set, he’s inviting listeners to look on as he spits an off-the-cuff Backseat Freestyle. Here, Hit-Boy‘s clattering, reverb-drenched rhythms set the stages for verses which find Lamar going dumb in the flyest fashion possible. On the memorable hook, he crows, “I pray my d**k get big as the Eiffel Tower, / So I can f**k the world for 72 hours.” Feeling it? You’ll be able to find this braggadocious jam and plenty more where it came from on good kid m.A.A.d city, set to drop this coming Monday via Top Dawg/Aftermath/Interscope. Click here to pre-order the highly-anticipated set.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Kendrick’s Jerome D and Dave Free-directed Backseat Freestyle visual.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.