Currently sitting at number on on the Booth’s own Rap Chart, Compton was as much of an event as it was a record, featuring Kendrick Lamar trading bars with G-funk pioneer Dr. Dre over a beat whose vocoded flourishes seemed designed to evoke 2Pac‘s classic California Love. It’s tough to top the epic scope of a cut like that—so, wisely, Kendrick Lamar isn’t trying. Instead, for the latest song release off the set, he’s inviting listeners to look on as he spits an off-the-cuff Backseat Freestyle. Here, Hit-Boy‘s clattering, reverb-drenched rhythms set the stages for verses which find Lamar going dumb in the flyest fashion possible. On the memorable hook, he crows, “I pray my d**k get big as the Eiffel Tower, / So I can f**k the world for 72 hours.” Feeling it? You’ll be able to find this braggadocious jam and plenty more where it came from on good kid m.A.A.d city, set to drop this coming Monday via Top Dawg/Aftermath/Interscope. Click here to pre-order the highly-anticipated set.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Kendrick’s Jerome D and Dave Free-directed Backseat Freestyle visual.
Written by richard on 01/2/13
I’ve heard people say that rappers don’t make classic albums anymore, but the truth is we don’t let rappers make classic albums anymore. As I’ve written before, the definition of a classic album is one that stands the...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.