Earlier this year, after splitting up with husband Nas, singer Kelis found herself single and very pregnant. A new album was probably the last thing on her mind, but what a difference a few months can make. On her new single, Acapella, Kelis talks about love and life and shows her range and talent as a singer. Producer David Guetta, whose last DJBooth feature Memories earned him reader approval, proves he is a master at mixing up sounds, and knows just when to slow the beat down for dramatic effect. Even though the track has an energetic, upbeat feel, vocally Kelis is working through some real emotional pain, sounding much more mature than she did in her chart topper Milkshake, from way back in 2003. Her lost love and emotional pain is perfectly described in a metaphor, as she sings, “Before you my whole life was acapella, now a symphony is the only song to sing.” Acapella will be off Kelis’ currently untitled fifth studio album, set for a release in early 2010.
Written by matt juss on 11/24/09
Submit your Rating
will.i.am Music Group/Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Not A Criminal ft. Kelis" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.