Earlier this year, after splitting up with husband Nas, singer Kelis found herself single and very pregnant. A new album was probably the last thing on her mind, but what a difference a few months can make. On her new single, Acapella, Kelis talks about love and life and shows her range and talent as a singer. Producer David Guetta, whose last DJBooth feature Memories earned him reader approval, proves he is a master at mixing up sounds, and knows just when to slow the beat down for dramatic effect. Even though the track has an energetic, upbeat feel, vocally Kelis is working through some real emotional pain, sounding much more mature than she did in her chart topper Milkshake, from way back in 2003. Her lost love and emotional pain is perfectly described in a metaphor, as she sings, “Before you my whole life was acapella, now a symphony is the only song to sing.” Acapella will be off Kelis’ currently untitled fifth studio album, set for a release in early 2010.
Written by matt juss on 11/24/09
Submit your Rating
will.i.am Music Group/Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Not A Criminal" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.