A unsigned alt-R&B songstress hailing from Washington, D.C., Kelela makes her grand entrance into The DJBooth with a brand new promo single. Though this cut is titled The High, it quickly becomes clear that the addictive “substance” influencing the artist’s mindstate isn’t chemical in nature. Over Gifted & Blessed‘s boardwork, a subtly driving arrangement fueled by chugging percussion and almost sub-audible synth bass, she offers a play-by-play of a mutual seduction. Featuring lines like “My lips are creeping up your neck / You shiver and try to pull back, and forth…” delivered in a breathy coo, this record isn’t just a song; it’s auditory foreplay. Interest piqued? Then stay tuned; The High isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 02/18/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.