A unsigned alt-R&B songstress hailing from Washington, D.C., Kelela makes her grand entrance into The DJBooth with a brand new promo single. Though this cut is titled The High, it quickly becomes clear that the addictive “substance” influencing the artist’s mindstate isn’t chemical in nature. Over Gifted & Blessed‘s boardwork, a subtly driving arrangement fueled by chugging percussion and almost sub-audible synth bass, she offers a play-by-play of a mutual seduction. Featuring lines like “My lips are creeping up your neck / You shiver and try to pull back, and forth…” delivered in a breathy coo, this record isn’t just a song; it’s auditory foreplay. Interest piqued? Then stay tuned; The High isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 02/18/14
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.