A unsigned alt-R&B songstress hailing from Washington, D.C., Kelela makes her grand entrance into The DJBooth with a brand new promo single. Though this cut is titled The High, it quickly becomes clear that the addictive “substance” influencing the artist’s mindstate isn’t chemical in nature. Over Gifted & Blessed‘s boardwork, a subtly driving arrangement fueled by chugging percussion and almost sub-audible synth bass, she offers a play-by-play of a mutual seduction. Featuring lines like “My lips are creeping up your neck / You shiver and try to pull back, and forth…” delivered in a breathy coo, this record isn’t just a song; it’s auditory foreplay. Interest piqued? Then stay tuned; The High isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.