A unsigned alt-R&B songstress hailing from Washington, D.C., Kelela makes her grand entrance into The DJBooth with a brand new promo single. Though this cut is titled The High, it quickly becomes clear that the addictive “substance” influencing the artist’s mindstate isn’t chemical in nature. Over Gifted & Blessed‘s boardwork, a subtly driving arrangement fueled by chugging percussion and almost sub-audible synth bass, she offers a play-by-play of a mutual seduction. Featuring lines like “My lips are creeping up your neck / You shiver and try to pull back, and forth…” delivered in a breathy coo, this record isn’t just a song; it’s auditory foreplay. Interest piqued? Then stay tuned; The High isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 02/18/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.