A unsigned alt-R&B songstress hailing from Washington, D.C., Kelela makes her grand entrance into The DJBooth with a brand new promo single. Though this cut is titled The High, it quickly becomes clear that the addictive “substance” influencing the artist’s mindstate isn’t chemical in nature. Over Gifted & Blessed‘s boardwork, a subtly driving arrangement fueled by chugging percussion and almost sub-audible synth bass, she offers a play-by-play of a mutual seduction. Featuring lines like “My lips are creeping up your neck / You shiver and try to pull back, and forth…” delivered in a breathy coo, this record isn’t just a song; it’s auditory foreplay. Interest piqued? Then stay tuned; The High isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 02/18/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.