In urban music, realness and brutal honesty are qualities typically associated with hard-edged beats and a brash, in-your-face presentation. But it’s entirely possible to create something Raw & True using the most delicate, understated elements in your aural repertoire. Don’t believe me? Take a listen to the latest single and first Booth feature from Oakland singer/songwriter Kehlani. On this low-key ballad, Derrick “DOA” Allen‘s gentle keys and guitar strums set the mood as the artist offers some real talk on the topic of relationships. Affirming the value of love over money, she urges her emotionally distant man, “Stop lookin down at your wallet / I’m tryin’ to see your eyes. ” After a listen to Raw & True, are you craving more? Then stay tuned; this cut isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the unsigned songstress’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.