In urban music, realness and brutal honesty are qualities typically associated with hard-edged beats and a brash, in-your-face presentation. But it’s entirely possible to create something Raw & True using the most delicate, understated elements in your aural repertoire. Don’t believe me? Take a listen to the latest single and first Booth feature from Oakland singer/songwriter Kehlani. On this low-key ballad, Derrick “DOA” Allen‘s gentle keys and guitar strums set the mood as the artist offers some real talk on the topic of relationships. Affirming the value of love over money, she urges her emotionally distant man, “Stop lookin down at your wallet / I’m tryin’ to see your eyes. ” After a listen to Raw & True, are you craving more? Then stay tuned; this cut isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the unsigned songstress’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)