In sports and politics, the term “Dark Horse” refers to a contender who rises to prominence despite being little-known or unlikely to succeed. With her extensive résumé of number one hits, Katy Perry ain’t exactly what you’d call a long shot but, given her lack of features in the DJBooth (2011’s The One That Got Away (Remix) was her first and, to date, only.), she could be regarded as an unknown quantity. Not an official follow-up to album lead single Roar, but rather a “taste” of what’s to come, this newly-released record features a guest artist likely to pique the interest of Boothgoers and other hip-hop heads. Fresh off the release of solo studio debut Stay Trippy, Juicy J jumps on Dr. Luke and Max Martin‘s arpeggiated-synth beat to pay tribute to the headliner’s wily sex appeal: “Her love is like a drug, I was tryin’a hit it and quit it / But lil mama so dope I messed around and got addicted.” Will Dark Horse carry Katy to a surprise victory in the Booth? That, my friends, is for you to decide.
Update: We have added the Mathew Cullen-directed visuals for Katy Perry’s Dark Horse single.
Written by richard on 02/20/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The One That Got Away (Remix)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.