In sports and politics, the term “Dark Horse” refers to a contender who rises to prominence despite being little-known or unlikely to succeed. With her extensive résumé of number one hits, Katy Perry ain’t exactly what you’d call a long shot but, given her lack of features in the DJBooth (2011’s The One That Got Away (Remix) was her first and, to date, only.), she could be regarded as an unknown quantity. Not an official follow-up to album lead single Roar, but rather a “taste” of what’s to come, this newly-released record features a guest artist likely to pique the interest of Boothgoers and other hip-hop heads. Fresh off the release of solo studio debut Stay Trippy, Juicy J jumps on Dr. Luke and Max Martin‘s arpeggiated-synth beat to pay tribute to the headliner’s wily sex appeal: “Her love is like a drug, I was tryin’a hit it and quit it / But lil mama so dope I messed around and got addicted.” Will Dark Horse carry Katy to a surprise victory in the Booth? That, my friends, is for you to decide.
Update: We have added the Mathew Cullen-directed visuals for Katy Perry’s Dark Horse single.
Written by richard on 02/20/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The One That Got Away (Remix)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.