Sometimes, excessive features are used to cover up some sort of shortcoming in a song. Sometimes, however, a beat is just so damn epic, it deserves a few extra emcees. The latter is clearly the case with Kato‘s Day 1 Homies. Though you might not know the beatsmith’s name, rest assured, if you are regular Booth visitor, you have heard his handiwork. On Day 1 Homies, he steps away from his ATL-based production collective, SMKA, but retains the same raucous, hard-hitting vibe that characterizes his collaborative work. In fact, his swaying trap-synth beat is so gaudy and flavorful that it remains the record’s highlight despite brash guest 16s from Irv Da Phenom, Futuristic and Chris Webby. Day 1 Homies will be part of the producer’s next album, Kato’s Revenge, due out later this year.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/2/14
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.