Those who have been closely following Kardinal Offishall’s career over the last couple years have seen the Toronto emcee’s career go through more twists and turns than Lindsay Lohan driving after a weekend bender. The one-time underground sensation signed to Konvict and immediately had a major hit (Dangerous), then seemed confined to musical limbo, not disappearing but not staying on top either. Well, you know what they say, when you need the spotlight to swing back in your direction make a club banger; no, make that a club smasher. True to its title, new single Smash the Club is fueled by a high octane beat by Clinton Sparks and DJ Snake that sounds like it just boarded a plane to Vegas. Serving hype man duty is consummate yeller Lil Jon, who exhorts the crowd to continue to move between Kardi and the always smooth Pitbull’s verses. It’s a formula guaranteed to inspire some serious Patron shot taking, but will it win over Booth commenters? We’ll find out soon, which coincidentally is also when Offishall’s long-awaited album Mr. International is finally scheduled to drop.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/24/11
Submit your Rating
Black Stone Colleagues/GFMGG
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Graveyard Shift ft. Akon" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.