For an artist seeking to gain a foothold in the notoriously competitive music game, Nothings Free; in fact, rappers are increasingly expected to give away new material in hopes of someday making a profit off their efforts. Booth newcomer Kap Kallous, for one, holds no illusions about success coming easy; as he explains on his latest single, he’s prepared to work harder and smarter than his peers in order to stand out from the pack. With Optiks and Seandammit‘s slick, electric guitar-infused grooves bumping in the background, the Orlando native fills listeners in on just how much work he’s been putting in, revealing that, when he’s not on his musical grind, he’s toiling away at a day job. Of course, he prefers that the precise details of his double life stay on the down-low: “I got a nine-to-five, but I keep it low-key / Clark Kentin’ wit a polo, homie you don’t know me.” Kap’s drive and energy are beyond question, but has he got the skills to pay the bills? As always, the final call is yours. If you’re leaning towards the affirmative, more quality tuneage awaits on I Should Have Kept My Mouth Shut, scheduled to drop March 29.
Written by richard on 02/8/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dollar and a Dream" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.