On his Booth debut, featured early this month, Orlando rhymesayer Kap Kallous emphasized that success always comes at a cost, shaking his head at those who expect fame and fortune simply to fall into their laps. But don’t get it twisted; while Nothing[’]s Free in the dog-eat-dog world of hip-hop, an artist willing to put forth the necessary perspiration can still pull himself up by his bootstraps with nothing but A Dollar and a Dream. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, Kap’s latest mixtape cut sees the hardworking emcee offering a considerably more idealistic angle on the game than on the aforementioned joint; over Optiks’ chill, street-ready yet robotically sinuous beat, he celebrates the distance he’s covered thus far. Not that he’s even remotely close to satisfied. After spitting “I ain’t happy, I’m hungry,” he assures us that “Everything ain’t even enough.” Needless to say, Kallous exhibits the kind of drive sure to take him far in the game – but are you digging his style? If you’re leaning towards the affirmative, odds are you’ll find plenty more to like on I Should Have Kept My Mouth Shut, scheduled to drop March 29.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothings Free" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.