Attention, hip-hop nation: the official remix of Kanye West‘s latest smash, Power, has finally landed. True to form, the game’s foremost rapper-producer pulls out all the stops here, delivering a joint considerably bigger than your “average remix.” Swizz Beatz joins Symbolyc One behind the boards this go-round, supplementing the original‘s King Crimson-cribbing groove with some rather unexpected twists and turns – including a grand finale inspired by Snap!‘s I’ve Got the Power. West broadens his lyrical focus to take on a few political issues of the day, even supporting tolerance and diversity by spitting a few lines “in Islam. That’s right, “in Islam.” The one and only J-Hova goes equally hard on the opener, waxing philosophical about the ups and downs we all face (“Life is a trip so sometimes we gon’ stumble) and shouting-out… Norman Mailer? Now, of course, comes the moment of truth: does this version of the cut surpass the original? The power, as Captain Planet would say, is yours. Whichever you prefer, keep it locked for the latest on Kanye’s fifth LP, possibly titled Dark Twisted Fantasy and set to drop sometime in November.
Written by richard on 08/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.