People go to the zoo because it’s always cool to see ferocious beasts in close proximity, and the line-up on this Jay-Z and Kanye cut Monster – from their upcoming, currently unscheduled collab Watch the Throne EP – is fascinating for the same reason. Home to lyrical specimens Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj and Mr. West himself, Monster is a hip-hop zoo. After an intro by singer Bon Iver, Ross spits an almost un-needed verse (think about an animal at the zoo that does nothing but sleep, like a panda). Then, ‘Ye keeps listeners entertained like a playful seal by dropping his best verse since Run This Town, leading to Hova also giving the audience some bang for their buck as he circles his enemies like a great white shark (Beanie Sigel, head for land). As for Nicki (who unleashes not only the best verse, but HER best verse yet), Ms. Minaj represents the untamed. She tears through this Kanye & DJ Premier beat like a psychotic lioness, clawing her way out of the cage and wreaking havoc upon anything in her way. The effect is truly chilling, but what true monster isn’t?
Written by Quentin Cuff on 08/30/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.