People go to the zoo because it’s always cool to see ferocious beasts in close proximity, and the line-up on this Jay-Z and Kanye cut Monster – from their upcoming, currently unscheduled collab Watch the Throne EP – is fascinating for the same reason. Home to lyrical specimens Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj and Mr. West himself, Monster is a hip-hop zoo. After an intro by singer Bon Iver, Ross spits an almost un-needed verse (think about an animal at the zoo that does nothing but sleep, like a panda). Then, ‘Ye keeps listeners entertained like a playful seal by dropping his best verse since Run This Town, leading to Hova also giving the audience some bang for their buck as he circles his enemies like a great white shark (Beanie Sigel, head for land). As for Nicki (who unleashes not only the best verse, but HER best verse yet), Ms. Minaj represents the untamed. She tears through this Kanye & DJ Premier beat like a psychotic lioness, clawing her way out of the cage and wreaking havoc upon anything in her way. The effect is truly chilling, but what true monster isn’t?
Written by Quentin Cuff on 08/30/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.