Three weeks after the release of his envelope-pushing seventh album, Kanye West has stuck to his guns on not releasing any singles off the set. As such, this freshly-released remix of Hold My Liquor, courtesy of West’s official tour DJ, is the first Yeezus-related record to be featured on our front page. Like the original, Mano‘s rendition begins with a little dueling Auto-Tune from Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon and Chi-town rap sensation Chief Keef. After that intro, though, this revamp diverges from its model. In place of West and Mike Dean‘s skeletal groove, Mano serves up a more robust rhythm section, accenting West’s “smashed your Corolla” line with crunchy, gunshot-esque percussion hits. The biggest surprise comes on the back, when he switches the climactic guitar solo for an eerie sci-fi synth. How does this remix stack up against the album version? As always, that’s for y’all to decide. Fans can, of course, find the latter on Yeezy’s latest full-length, available now from record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 07/9/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)