Three weeks after the release of his envelope-pushing seventh album, Kanye West has stuck to his guns on not releasing any singles off the set. As such, this freshly-released remix of Hold My Liquor, courtesy of West’s official tour DJ, is the first Yeezus-related record to be featured on our front page. Like the original, Mano‘s rendition begins with a little dueling Auto-Tune from Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon and Chi-town rap sensation Chief Keef. After that intro, though, this revamp diverges from its model. In place of West and Mike Dean‘s skeletal groove, Mano serves up a more robust rhythm section, accenting West’s “smashed your Corolla” line with crunchy, gunshot-esque percussion hits. The biggest surprise comes on the back, when he switches the climactic guitar solo for an eerie sci-fi synth. How does this remix stack up against the album version? As always, that’s for y’all to decide. Fans can, of course, find the latter on Yeezy’s latest full-length, available now from record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 07/9/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.