Three weeks after the release of his envelope-pushing seventh album, Kanye West has stuck to his guns on not releasing any singles off the set. As such, this freshly-released remix of Hold My Liquor, courtesy of West’s official tour DJ, is the first Yeezus-related record to be featured on our front page. Like the original, Mano‘s rendition begins with a little dueling Auto-Tune from Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon and Chi-town rap sensation Chief Keef. After that intro, though, this revamp diverges from its model. In place of West and Mike Dean‘s skeletal groove, Mano serves up a more robust rhythm section, accenting West’s “smashed your Corolla” line with crunchy, gunshot-esque percussion hits. The biggest surprise comes on the back, when he switches the climactic guitar solo for an eerie sci-fi synth. How does this remix stack up against the album version? As always, that’s for y’all to decide. Fans can, of course, find the latter on Yeezy’s latest full-length, available now from record stores and online retailers.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!