Three weeks after the release of his envelope-pushing seventh album, Kanye West has stuck to his guns on not releasing any singles off the set. As such, this freshly-released remix of Hold My Liquor, courtesy of West’s official tour DJ, is the first Yeezus-related record to be featured on our front page. Like the original, Mano‘s rendition begins with a little dueling Auto-Tune from Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon and Chi-town rap sensation Chief Keef. After that intro, though, this revamp diverges from its model. In place of West and Mike Dean‘s skeletal groove, Mano serves up a more robust rhythm section, accenting West’s “smashed your Corolla” line with crunchy, gunshot-esque percussion hits. The biggest surprise comes on the back, when he switches the climactic guitar solo for an eerie sci-fi synth. How does this remix stack up against the album version? As always, that’s for y’all to decide. Fans can, of course, find the latter on Yeezy’s latest full-length, available now from record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 07/9/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.