Three weeks after the release of his envelope-pushing seventh album, Kanye West has stuck to his guns on not releasing any singles off the set. As such, this freshly-released remix of Hold My Liquor, courtesy of West’s official tour DJ, is the first Yeezus-related record to be featured on our front page. Like the original, Mano‘s rendition begins with a little dueling Auto-Tune from Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon and Chi-town rap sensation Chief Keef. After that intro, though, this revamp diverges from its model. In place of West and Mike Dean‘s skeletal groove, Mano serves up a more robust rhythm section, accenting West’s “smashed your Corolla” line with crunchy, gunshot-esque percussion hits. The biggest surprise comes on the back, when he switches the climactic guitar solo for an eerie sci-fi synth. How does this remix stack up against the album version? As always, that’s for y’all to decide. Fans can, of course, find the latter on Yeezy’s latest full-length, available now from record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 07/9/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.