Kanye West should start calling it G.O.O.D Saturday - not one track has come out on Friday since So Appalled. But that’s nitpicking when it comes to the series’ latest hurrah; on The Joy there is NOTHING to nitpick about. Pete Rock chops Curtis Mayfield’s The Makings of You into a slow thumping, vintage break beat with egg popping vocals, Jay-Z and Kanye tag team rap and KiD CuDi and Charlie Wilson play background vocals – no nitpicks. Kanye delivers one of his best verses of the series with anecdotes about his manager Don C., Planned Parenthood (“cause nobody planned to be a parent in the hood”) and his childless regrets. For his part, Jay obviously feels at home for his first collaboration with the mighty PR, claiming the production makes him feel like he’s back in the Marcy Projects and his rhyme scheme reflects that. I can also understand why Curtis is included in the feature slot seeing that he’s had a big influence on Kanye’s production (see Touch the Sky). With My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy being let loose on November 22, Kanye’s obviously not cooling off the heat rock that is G.O.O.D Friday.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.