Call me crazy, but I think Kanye West may finally have learned to let go; on his latest G.O.O.D. Fridays leak, the hip-hop megastar takes a new approach to the familiar breakup theme, telling the girl he loves “Don’t Look Down” as she rises, phoenix-like, from the ashes of their failed relationship. In addition to revisiting the subject matter of his last full-length, West employs Swizzy (and The Individualz) to refine the 808s sound here, flipping a mournful piano-brass-synth arrangement into something of a hip-hop funeral march with the help of some rolling snares. As usual, a few high-profile collaborators are along for the ride; flanking West’s overdriven middle bars are contributions from Chi-town mainstay Lupe Fiasco, who makes full use of the flight/flame imagery in his opener and Big Sean, who brings the cut to a close with a few melodic flows of his own. Last but not least, Mos Def hops on board to deliver an appropriately lofty chorus – no guest bars this time, unfortunately. Has Kanye scored yet another G.O.O.D. Friday hit? You tell me. Either way, you’ll be missing out if you don’t pick up a copy of his fifth LP, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, when it hits stores Nov. 22.
Written by richard on 10/24/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.