If you ever find yourself confessing your love to a guy or girl who happens to be an R&B singer, choose your words carefully, because they might end up in a song. And wear a hidden mic – if the record becomes a hit, you’ll want proof of authorship in order to claim your rightful share of the royalties. Cha-ching! Uh, anyways, Kandi‘s latest single and first Booth feature, I Want You was inspired by just such an experience (as she describes in this video). Backed by the J.U.S.T.I.C.E League‘s gentle, mid-tempo synth boardwork, the Xscape alum and veteran songwriter (she was among those responsible for TLC’s hit single, No Scrubs) steps into the shoes of that special man to profess her love to… herself. That may sound a little convoluted in concept, but in execution, it could hardly be more straightforward and heartfelt. The artist’s smooth, sincere vocals add to the effect – if you’ve been longing to pour your heart out to that special someone but couldn’t find the words, this just may be your jam. For more soulful freshness, check out Kandi’s forthcoming solo set, Kandi Koated, scheduled to hit stores December 14.
Listen to More: Kandi
Written by richard on 11/18/10
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.