If you ever find yourself confessing your love to a guy or girl who happens to be an R&B singer, choose your words carefully, because they might end up in a song. And wear a hidden mic – if the record becomes a hit, you’ll want proof of authorship in order to claim your rightful share of the royalties. Cha-ching! Uh, anyways, Kandi‘s latest single and first Booth feature, I Want You was inspired by just such an experience (as she describes in this video). Backed by the J.U.S.T.I.C.E League‘s gentle, mid-tempo synth boardwork, the Xscape alum and veteran songwriter (she was among those responsible for TLC’s hit single, No Scrubs) steps into the shoes of that special man to profess her love to… herself. That may sound a little convoluted in concept, but in execution, it could hardly be more straightforward and heartfelt. The artist’s smooth, sincere vocals add to the effect – if you’ve been longing to pour your heart out to that special someone but couldn’t find the words, this just may be your jam. For more soulful freshness, check out Kandi’s forthcoming solo set, Kandi Koated, scheduled to hit stores December 14.
Written by richard on 11/18/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.