People are a lot like crabs in a bucket:
delicious with butter sauce.
When one makes a move to climb out, its peers will do their damndest to pull it back down to their level. Of course, lacking pincers, humans have to make do with discouraging words. Booth newcomer Kamilah Sumner, for one, is having none of it; on the latest single off her forthcoming full-length, the buzzmaking Soulstress tells perpetratin’ haters in no uncertain terms, “you’ll Never Bring Me Down.” Sweatbox Productions take a cheery yet driving approach behind the boards, layering swirling strings over a leisurely rhythm section as the singer recounts just how little help her peers were when she was struggling to rise above poverty (exacerbated by single-parenthood). Fortunately, Sumner paid no heed to their pessimism, instead electing to follow in the footsteps of her strong and assertive mother. Kamilah clearly has the right attitude, but is this single hit material? As always, Booth readers get the final say. In addition to grabbing a copy of The Soulstress when it drops in late summer/early fall, fans can catch Kamilah Sumner on Everything, a cut off Killer Mike‘s new PL3DGE LP.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.