When someone tells you they’re “Still Alive,” the implication is that they survived a brush with mortal danger. In the case of Kami de Chukwu and Joey Purp, that’s just what happened. While shooting the video for their latest joint single, the Save Money colleagues were interrupted by an armed robbery, which (along with ensuing scheduling difficulties) prevented the clip’s completion in time for its planned 2013 release. While it took a little longer than expected, I think all will agree that the end product was worth the wait. To accompany the promo single, a lyrical banger fueled by Thelonious Martin and drummer Stix‘s rock-infused boardwork, director Verluxe has cooked up a gritty visual packing cameos from Vic Mensa, Chance The Rapper, Tokyo Shawn, Caleb James, Dally Auston and Brian Fresco. Still Alive isn’t part of a larger set, but fans can look forward to more from the whole Save Money collective throughout 2014, including a Leather Corduroys album, Tokyo Shawn’s Wave Theory and an untitled Donnie Trumpet LP.
Written by richard on 01/21/14
Submit your Rating
Limelight Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"For the People" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.