Whatever the nature of your hustle, it’s important to take the occasional break from the grind and just inhale… Exhale. Well aware of the necessary of staying calm and centered while pursuing one’s dreams, Kali begins his New Year with a deep breath and a little reflection on the state of his career. The latest single off his forthcoming street album with DJ Green Lantern, this understated banger finds Statik Selektah, flipping a string-laced soul sample into a preternaturally smooth backdrop for cathartic rhymes from the West Coast buzzmaker and a Bostonian colleague. In between the headliner’s opening and closing verses, which see him deliver a down-to-Earth account of his frustrations with the game (“I just wanna make it out the struggle, but it’s hard like ridin’ a unicycle tryin’ to juggle”), REKS grabs the mic to offer a more ambivalent perspective on the “icon status” he recently celebrated on Autographs. Topped off with the dazzling-as-ever chorus vocals of Novel (a seasoned veteran of music-industry caprice), this contemplative cut is just one of many quality jams set for inclusion on Kali’s On Schedule tape, due out before the end of January.
Written by richard on 01/4/12
Submit your Rating
Hall Of Famers
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali Kali" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.