Right about now all the cuddling and kissing (and perhaps more…um…adult activities) that went down on Valentine’s Day feels like a year ago. Come February 15 couples are once again confronted with the cold hard reality of the difficulties of relationships, a topic up-and-comer Kali Raps knows only too well. On new single Don’t Let Me Down the L.A. emcee brings producer Ruwanga Samath on board to craft a beat that tiptoes the line between rap, rock and pop, putting hip-hop percussion under a sparse guitar line and filling synths. Further emphasizing the song’s cross-genre leaning is singer Greg Cahn (of Mind the Gap), who delivers a hook that will no doubt draw comparisons to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin. But all of that is simply the icing for Kali’s cake raps as he lays down verse after verse of bars so passionate I find it hard to believe any woman would leave his side. Those down to keep up with Raps have a lot to look forward to: looks for Don’t Let Me Down to start earning spins on MTV Jams soon, followed by the release of his upcoming and currently unscheduled mixtape, On Schedule.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/15/12
Submit your Rating
Hall Of Famers
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali Kali" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.