Right about now all the cuddling and kissing (and perhaps more…um…adult activities) that went down on Valentine’s Day feels like a year ago. Come February 15 couples are once again confronted with the cold hard reality of the difficulties of relationships, a topic up-and-comer Kali Raps knows only too well. On new single Don’t Let Me Down the L.A. emcee brings producer Ruwanga Samath on board to craft a beat that tiptoes the line between rap, rock and pop, putting hip-hop percussion under a sparse guitar line and filling synths. Further emphasizing the song’s cross-genre leaning is singer Greg Cahn (of Mind the Gap), who delivers a hook that will no doubt draw comparisons to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin. But all of that is simply the icing for Kali’s cake raps as he lays down verse after verse of bars so passionate I find it hard to believe any woman would leave his side. Those down to keep up with Raps have a lot to look forward to: looks for Don’t Let Me Down to start earning spins on MTV Jams soon, followed by the release of his upcoming and currently unscheduled mixtape, On Schedule.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/15/12
Hall Of Famers
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali Kali" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)