Right about now all the cuddling and kissing (and perhaps more…um…adult activities) that went down on Valentine’s Day feels like a year ago. Come February 15 couples are once again confronted with the cold hard reality of the difficulties of relationships, a topic up-and-comer Kali Raps knows only too well. On new single Don’t Let Me Down the L.A. emcee brings producer Ruwanga Samath on board to craft a beat that tiptoes the line between rap, rock and pop, putting hip-hop percussion under a sparse guitar line and filling synths. Further emphasizing the song’s cross-genre leaning is singer Greg Cahn (of Mind the Gap), who delivers a hook that will no doubt draw comparisons to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin. But all of that is simply the icing for Kali’s cake raps as he lays down verse after verse of bars so passionate I find it hard to believe any woman would leave his side. Those down to keep up with Raps have a lot to look forward to: looks for Don’t Let Me Down to start earning spins on MTV Jams soon, followed by the release of his upcoming and currently unscheduled mixtape, On Schedule.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/15/12
Submit your Rating
Hall Of Famers
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali Kali" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)