Though Uptown Swuite‘s appeared in the Booth both solo and as a member of The Seed, partner-in-rhyme Kahlee has yet to headline a feature of his own. Today, we balance the scales by bringing y’all the world premiere of Taking Over, single numero uno off the latter’s forthcoming EP. Left to his own devices, the Cali repper goes in a grittier direction than fans of his collaborative work might expect. Evidence creates a tense atmosphere on the production tip, basing his instrumental around a fluttering, minor-key string sample. Over the Dilated Peoples member’s grimy beat, Kahlee expresses determination to get what’s rightfully his, whether by hook or by crook. Speaking of hooks, D-Fi mans the wheels of steel, scratching on a line from Ghostface‘s Run between the emcee’s bruising verses. Craving more? We thought you might feel that way; that’s why The DJBooth will be hosting the artist’s Here I Am EP, scheduled to drop September 10, for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 08/14/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ain't Seen Me Since" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.