Though Uptown Swuite‘s appeared in the Booth both solo and as a member of The Seed, partner-in-rhyme Kahlee has yet to headline a feature of his own. Today, we balance the scales by bringing y’all the world premiere of Taking Over, single numero uno off the latter’s forthcoming EP. Left to his own devices, the Cali repper goes in a grittier direction than fans of his collaborative work might expect. Evidence creates a tense atmosphere on the production tip, basing his instrumental around a fluttering, minor-key string sample. Over the Dilated Peoples member’s grimy beat, Kahlee expresses determination to get what’s rightfully his, whether by hook or by crook. Speaking of hooks, D-Fi mans the wheels of steel, scratching on a line from Ghostface‘s Run between the emcee’s bruising verses. Craving more? We thought you might feel that way; that’s why The DJBooth will be hosting the artist’s Here I Am EP, scheduled to drop September 10, for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 08/14/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ain't Seen Me Since" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.