Late last month, West Coast mic-murderer Kahlee lit the fuse on his imminent industry takeover by unleashing the lead single off his forthcoming, DJBooth-hosted solo EP. While that reader-approved cut seemed to indicate that the project would have a grittier vibe than his work as one-half of The Seed, the dreamy Shining Star (another world premiere) points to a more eclectic aural palette. After a false start and a sampled line from ODB’s Hippa to Da Hoppa, Adikt 1‘s beat settles into a tuneful, keyboard-driven groove. Kahlee matches the instrumental’s plaintive, yet gritty vibe on the lyrical tip, offering a tightly-wound take on his current struggles as well as his high hopes for the future. The Seed partner-in-rhyme Uptown Swuite and Golden State buzzmaker Blame One deliver similarly upbeat, yet hard-hitting guest verses. Feeling it? Then be sure to cop Watch Me next Tuesday, September 10, when it hits the Booth for free digital download.
Written by richard on 09/5/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ain't Seen Me Since" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.