When I read that K.A.R.‘s latest single was titled Girls Wanna Have Fun, my first thought was, “Is this going to be a hip-hop reimagining of the Cyndi Lauper song?” followed immediately by “Didn’t someone already do that?” As it turns out, the answers are, respectively, “No,” and, “Yeah, Cam’ron did.” What the record is, though, is a pretty good argument against those who’d claim the Fat Joe protégés don’t have what it takes to achieve mainstream popularity—in addition to being an enjoyable listen, its also more marketable than anything we’ve heard from them thus far. As Rob Cash and Leader spit high-rolling game to a fun-loving female, The Crew surrounds their rhymes with glittering, club-friendly synths and midtempo percussion; Ace Hood even jumps on board for a Weezy-esque guest verse. Is this danceable sound K.A.R.‘s ticket to success? You be the judge. For more from the up-and-coming group, grab your copy of their Joe Crack & Pistol Pete Present K.A.R mixtape when it drops May 5th.
Written by richard on 04/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stop Talkin ft. Tony Sunshine" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.