Last Manic Monday, Booth favorite K. Sparks wowed readers for the 36th time with Dreamin, a record he based around his favorite of 337 fan-submitted song ideas. After sorting through all those Emails, arriving at a favorite, and recording the high-concept cut all in the course of one week (in addition to working on various mixtapes, etc., etc…), I would have been ready for a nice, long nap, but Sparks doesn’t seem to know the meaning of the word ‘rest.’ At the very least, it’s good to see the emcee kicking back a little—on Retarded (entry #37), he grabs a groovy, guitar-sampling beat by DJ Jazzy Jeff and spits the kind of freewheeling, punchline-driven verses he could probably write in his sleep. I mean that in the best way possible, though; the Queens native simply goes so hard that he makes it look easy, and it’s the seeming effortlessness with which he delivers his allusive, wordplay-rich rhymes that makes this one yet another winner. Now, if only all the rappers who clearly are sleeping on the job would heed Sparks’ words on the back end and stop being… well, you know.
Written by richard on 05/10/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)