Last Manic Monday, Booth favorite K. Sparks wowed readers for the 36th time with Dreamin, a record he based around his favorite of 337 fan-submitted song ideas. After sorting through all those Emails, arriving at a favorite, and recording the high-concept cut all in the course of one week (in addition to working on various mixtapes, etc., etc…), I would have been ready for a nice, long nap, but Sparks doesn’t seem to know the meaning of the word ‘rest.’ At the very least, it’s good to see the emcee kicking back a little—on Retarded (entry #37), he grabs a groovy, guitar-sampling beat by DJ Jazzy Jeff and spits the kind of freewheeling, punchline-driven verses he could probably write in his sleep. I mean that in the best way possible, though; the Queens native simply goes so hard that he makes it look easy, and it’s the seeming effortlessness with which he delivers his allusive, wordplay-rich rhymes that makes this one yet another winner. Now, if only all the rappers who clearly are sleeping on the job would heed Sparks’ words on the back end and stop being… well, you know.
Written by richard on 05/10/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.