It’s January 5th, 2009, and to DJBooth regulars that can mean only one thing: K. Sparks is back in the Booth with the very first Manic Mondays installment of the new year. The Queens native ended 2008 on a triumphant note with the Angelous-featuring Rap Saviors, a bombastic number that achieved a sky-high four and a quarter-star average from our raters. Manic Monday number 19, however, finds Sparks in a more contemplative, even melancholy mood as he walks the streets, pondering the problem of how to find Purpose in one’s everyday struggles. D Roof‘s pensive production, which centers on a sample of Irving Berlin-penned jazz standard How Deep Is the Ocean?, ramps up the tension considerably as the emcee wonders whether his musical, romantic, and material pursuits truly hold meaning. Though the record’s subject matter is serious, Sparks addresses it with all the skill, charisma, and humor that we have come to expect, adding another top-notch track to his Manic Mondays résumé.
Listen to More: K. Sparks
Written by richard on 01/4/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.