It’s January 5th, 2009, and to DJBooth regulars that can mean only one thing: K. Sparks is back in the Booth with the very first Manic Mondays installment of the new year. The Queens native ended 2008 on a triumphant note with the Angelous-featuring Rap Saviors, a bombastic number that achieved a sky-high four and a quarter-star average from our raters. Manic Monday number 19, however, finds Sparks in a more contemplative, even melancholy mood as he walks the streets, pondering the problem of how to find Purpose in one’s everyday struggles. D Roof‘s pensive production, which centers on a sample of Irving Berlin-penned jazz standard How Deep Is the Ocean?, ramps up the tension considerably as the emcee wonders whether his musical, romantic, and material pursuits truly hold meaning. Though the record’s subject matter is serious, Sparks addresses it with all the skill, charisma, and humor that we have come to expect, adding another top-notch track to his Manic Mondays résumé.
Written by richard on 01/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)