“K. Sparks can do it all,” may seem like hyperbole, but I’m having trouble thinking of anything he can’t. Though he’s already got so many styles under his belt that attempting to describe his musical approach to an outsider feels like struggling to answer a Zen master’s koan, he never fails to find new ways to expand his game; on Manic Mondays #50, Sparks proves himself as a storyteller, taking on the role of a stalker morbidly Obsessed with a famous actress. Packing his verses (presented as answering machine messages) with vivid characterization (the narrator is asthmatic, works for J. P. Morgan, has no wife or children, etc.), Sparks showcases an eye for detail that many authors of popular fiction would envy, and beatsmith Thelonious Martin sets a fittingly cinematic, noirish mood with a few smoky jazz samples. Topped off with a genuinely creepy if not entirely shocking twist ending, Obsessed is yet another fresh, surprising track from one of the most consistent and creative emcees in Booth history; we can only guess what he has in store for the final two entries!
Written by richard on 08/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Ludacris ft. Miguel - Good Lovin’
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.