“K. Sparks can do it all,” may seem like hyperbole, but I’m having trouble thinking of anything he can’t. Though he’s already got so many styles under his belt that attempting to describe his musical approach to an outsider feels like struggling to answer a Zen master’s koan, he never fails to find new ways to expand his game; on Manic Mondays #50, Sparks proves himself as a storyteller, taking on the role of a stalker morbidly Obsessed with a famous actress. Packing his verses (presented as answering machine messages) with vivid characterization (the narrator is asthmatic, works for J. P. Morgan, has no wife or children, etc.), Sparks showcases an eye for detail that many authors of popular fiction would envy, and beatsmith Thelonious Martin sets a fittingly cinematic, noirish mood with a few smoky jazz samples. Topped off with a genuinely creepy if not entirely shocking twist ending, Obsessed is yet another fresh, surprising track from one of the most consistent and creative emcees in Booth history; we can only guess what he has in store for the final two entries!
Listen to More: K. Sparks
Written by richard on 08/9/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.