“K. Sparks can do it all,” may seem like hyperbole, but I’m having trouble thinking of anything he can’t. Though he’s already got so many styles under his belt that attempting to describe his musical approach to an outsider feels like struggling to answer a Zen master’s koan, he never fails to find new ways to expand his game; on Manic Mondays #50, Sparks proves himself as a storyteller, taking on the role of a stalker morbidly Obsessed with a famous actress. Packing his verses (presented as answering machine messages) with vivid characterization (the narrator is asthmatic, works for J. P. Morgan, has no wife or children, etc.), Sparks showcases an eye for detail that many authors of popular fiction would envy, and beatsmith Thelonious Martin sets a fittingly cinematic, noirish mood with a few smoky jazz samples. Topped off with a genuinely creepy if not entirely shocking twist ending, Obsessed is yet another fresh, surprising track from one of the most consistent and creative emcees in Booth history; we can only guess what he has in store for the final two entries!
Listen to More: K. Sparks
Written by richard on 08/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.