After spending 16 Manic Mondays with K. Sparks, DJBooth regulars are well aware that the South Jamaica, Queens emcee is one of the most gifted up-and-comers in underground hip hop. Thus far, Sparks has brought us both on-point meditations on serious topics (see Rain, Visual Sound) and punchline/pop-culture reference-packed cuts designed to showcase his peerless lyrical game (see Spittaz and Spittaz II). Installment number 17, entitled G.A.M.E., fits neatly in the latter category; in the artist’s own words, “I wrote this song from the perspective of just spittin’ dope lyrics… sometimes Kurser sends me beats that are off the chain and I just wanna feel free to say whatever…” Sparks’ assessment of Kurser’s production is right on; the beat blends strings, organ, and tuneful whistling to build the perfect melodic backdrop for the emcee’s verses. Name-dropping everyone from Spiderman to Letterman, K. Sparks kills another one. By now, we all know he can keep it up – the only question is, what new brand of freshness will number 18 bring to the table?
Listen to More: K. Sparks
Written by richard on 12/21/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)