Last Manic Monday, K. Sparks sounded a little melancholy as he pondered whether there was really a Purpose behind his struggles. Installment number 20, however, finds him back in fighting form and ready to take whoever will accompany him on a journey to the Darkside. Opening with the oft-quoted snippet of dialogue from Reservoir Dogs’ Mr. Blonde, “Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, [or are you gonna bite]?” the record finds Sparks and his Spittaz II partner in rhyme, Nova, doing plenty of both. T-Mos (who also handled production duties on Spittaz II, Visual Sound, and Young Malcolm) provides a dramatic, piano-driven beat over which both emcees go just as hard as you’d expect – Nova notably compares his 16 [bars] to a semiautomatic M-16, while Sparks spits a verse dense with references, name-dropping everything from popular teppanyaki chain Benihana’s to Barney the dinosaur. After 20 weeks of new material, Sparks is still going strong – we can only guess where he’ll take us on Manic Monday number 21.
Written by richard on 01/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.