Throughout his Manic Mondays series, K. Sparks has proven himself as a peerless punchline lyricist, a hip-hop philosopher, a verbal gymnast, and a thinking man’s club rapper (to name just a few of his many faces), but in the midst of all this musical shapeshifting he’s shown a willingness to get more personal than many would dare—though we caught a glimpse of the his serious side on Tattoo, an earnest take on the issues of race and prejudice, the Midnight Thoughts he explores in installment #38 are easily his deepest yet. Rejoining forces with ‘K. Francis’ R&B singer Julius Francis over a melancholy instrumental by S.D.F. Floh, the rapper addresses the recent, untimely death of his 28-year-old brother, Sequain, who passed suddenly due to a blood clot in his lung. A tribute this heartfelt is guaranteed to earn condolences and rave reviews in equal measure, but Sparks’ dedication to his craft shines as brightly here as his dedication to the memory of his late brother—simply put, this is good music. Readers will have plenty to say about this one, so I’ll just speak for myself: Sparks, I’m sorry for your loss; much respect for staying strong and moving forward through the pain.
Written by richard on 05/17/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.