With the release of last week’s Manic Mondays entry, Hard, K. Sparks made the exciting announcement that he was taking fan suggestions for number 36. Out of the 337 concepts that were sent in, a few stood out; among the runners-up he personally shouted out were DJBooth.net ‘Resident DJ’ bowwserr and, well, yours truly. In the end, he went with a concept by Ontario resident Samantha Stein, who suggested he write a record “about cartoons… doing things out out of the ordinary.” This served as the inspiration for Dreamin’, an absolutely hilarious cut in which Scooby Doo becomes a victim of racial profiling, Bugs Bunny is diagnosed with multiple STDs, and Kermit the Frog puts a hit out on Miss Piggy. DJ Bobby Bob‘s string-driven boardwork sets a sunny, retro mood that makes the Queens native’s strange tales seem even funnier, and the result is a record whose execution is even more impressive than the concept itself. But Sparks, if you’re reading, feel free to use my suggestion in a future cut—if there’s one emcee who could pull that off (and sound good doing it), you’re the man.
Written by richard on 05/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.