If I were feeling ambitious (and even longer-winded than usual), I could try and map out the process through which Queens emcee K. Sparks evolved from talented up-and-comer into an all-around rap juggernaut by experimenting with subject matter, subgenre, flow, and even vocal impressions over the course of his Manic Mondays series. Now that we’ve reached #47 of 52, I think it’s fair to say we’ve entered into the final stretch—in any case, Abstract Jazz sounds like something of a “transition record.” Originally scheduled to run as entry #46 (before being switched out at the last minute for Identity Crisis), this cut finds Sparks revisiting the mellow, jazzy sound that’s become one of his (many) trademark styles. Bobby Bob‘s piano-loop instrumental (complete with scratches and a switched-up outro not present in the original) evokes a fittingly mellow ambiance as the emcee gets his “abstract emcee” on, hopping between laid-back braggadocio and more sinister lyrical imagery with greatest of ease. Does Abstract Jazz set the tone for the final five entries in Sparks’ series, or is it a head-bobbing detour on the road to uncharted territory? I have no idea, but I do know it’s going to be one dope ride.
Written by richard on 07/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.