When we featured K. Michelle‘s Can’t Go On in late May of ‘08, it was praised by Booth readers for its classic R&B feel, but some commented that the cut lacked modern-day appeal. With a new label home (HiTz Committee/Jive) and a newly-bleached ‘do, the singer is now ready to introduce the streets to her unique brand of R&B. The first single off her forthcoming debut, Pain Medicine, is an anthem for all the independent, Self Made ladies who earn their own money, pay their own bills, and don’t need a man for anything at all (as Webbie, Ne-Yo, and Jamie Foxx will tell you, that theme means a surefire hit!). As self-proclaimed “Baddest Chick” Trina provides some moral support, Drumma Boy delivers what is perhaps his most up-tempo beat to date, ensuring that Self Made will have no trouble catching on at radio. K. Michelle’s cure for the common R&B album will be administered August 11th—let’s hope her Pain Medicine has what it takes to nurse the genre back to health.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Go On" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.