When we featured K. Michelle‘s Can’t Go On in late May of ‘08, it was praised by Booth readers for its classic R&B feel, but some commented that the cut lacked modern-day appeal. With a new label home (HiTz Committee/Jive) and a newly-bleached ‘do, the singer is now ready to introduce the streets to her unique brand of R&B. The first single off her forthcoming debut, Pain Medicine, is an anthem for all the independent, Self Made ladies who earn their own money, pay their own bills, and don’t need a man for anything at all (as Webbie, Ne-Yo, and Jamie Foxx will tell you, that theme means a surefire hit!). As self-proclaimed “Baddest Chick” Trina provides some moral support, Drumma Boy delivers what is perhaps his most up-tempo beat to date, ensuring that Self Made will have no trouble catching on at radio. K. Michelle’s cure for the common R&B album will be administered August 11th—let’s hope her Pain Medicine has what it takes to nurse the genre back to health.
Written by Burmy on 03/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Go On" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.