When we featured K. Michelle‘s Can’t Go On in late May of ‘08, it was praised by Booth readers for its classic R&B feel, but some commented that the cut lacked modern-day appeal. With a new label home (HiTz Committee/Jive) and a newly-bleached ‘do, the singer is now ready to introduce the streets to her unique brand of R&B. The first single off her forthcoming debut, Pain Medicine, is an anthem for all the independent, Self Made ladies who earn their own money, pay their own bills, and don’t need a man for anything at all (as Webbie, Ne-Yo, and Jamie Foxx will tell you, that theme means a surefire hit!). As self-proclaimed “Baddest Chick” Trina provides some moral support, Drumma Boy delivers what is perhaps his most up-tempo beat to date, ensuring that Self Made will have no trouble catching on at radio. K. Michelle’s cure for the common R&B album will be administered August 11th—let’s hope her Pain Medicine has what it takes to nurse the genre back to health.
Written by Burmy on 03/3/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Go On" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.