When we featured K. Michelle‘s Can’t Go On in late May of ‘08, it was praised by Booth readers for its classic R&B feel, but some commented that the cut lacked modern-day appeal. With a new label home (HiTz Committee/Jive) and a newly-bleached ‘do, the singer is now ready to introduce the streets to her unique brand of R&B. The first single off her forthcoming debut, Pain Medicine, is an anthem for all the independent, Self Made ladies who earn their own money, pay their own bills, and don’t need a man for anything at all (as Webbie, Ne-Yo, and Jamie Foxx will tell you, that theme means a surefire hit!). As self-proclaimed “Baddest Chick” Trina provides some moral support, Drumma Boy delivers what is perhaps his most up-tempo beat to date, ensuring that Self Made will have no trouble catching on at radio. K. Michelle’s cure for the common R&B album will be administered August 11th—let’s hope her Pain Medicine has what it takes to nurse the genre back to health.
Written by Burmy on 03/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Go On" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.