If hip-hop could be said to be going through something akin to the European Renaissance—a period of renewed interest in classical sources accompanied by revolutionary progress in the arts and sciences—then K. Sparks just might be rap’s answer to Michelangelo. Still riding high off September’s release of his critically-acclaimed, DJBooth-sponsored Diagnosis: Success tape (available here for streaming/download), the Queens phenom (and freestyle series alum) returns to bring us a new promo single that epitomizes his old school-inspired, yet forward-looking brand of underground freshness. Frequent collaborator Kurser mans the boards, layering chopped guitar samples, street-ready synths over a slow-rolling breakbeat to timeless effect, and Sparks comes with bars to match. In between contemporary pop-culture references (“Lost control of your b*tch, I call ‘em Herman Cain.”) and tightly-wound trash-talk, the emcee gets a little personal, revealing, “While I fight the industry, my mama fightin’ cancer.” Needless to say, Spizzy and his kin will be in the Booth’s thoughts and prayers this holiday season—and, equally needless to say, you can keep your browsers locked for all the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 12/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.