If hip-hop could be said to be going through something akin to the European Renaissance—a period of renewed interest in classical sources accompanied by revolutionary progress in the arts and sciences—then K. Sparks just might be rap’s answer to Michelangelo. Still riding high off September’s release of his critically-acclaimed, DJBooth-sponsored Diagnosis: Success tape (available here for streaming/download), the Queens phenom (and freestyle series alum) returns to bring us a new promo single that epitomizes his old school-inspired, yet forward-looking brand of underground freshness. Frequent collaborator Kurser mans the boards, layering chopped guitar samples, street-ready synths over a slow-rolling breakbeat to timeless effect, and Sparks comes with bars to match. In between contemporary pop-culture references (“Lost control of your b*tch, I call ‘em Herman Cain.”) and tightly-wound trash-talk, the emcee gets a little personal, revealing, “While I fight the industry, my mama fightin’ cancer.” Needless to say, Spizzy and his kin will be in the Booth’s thoughts and prayers this holiday season—and, equally needless to say, you can keep your browsers locked for all the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 12/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.