If hip-hop could be said to be going through something akin to the European Renaissance—a period of renewed interest in classical sources accompanied by revolutionary progress in the arts and sciences—then K. Sparks just might be rap’s answer to Michelangelo. Still riding high off September’s release of his critically-acclaimed, DJBooth-sponsored Diagnosis: Success tape (available here for streaming/download), the Queens phenom (and freestyle series alum) returns to bring us a new promo single that epitomizes his old school-inspired, yet forward-looking brand of underground freshness. Frequent collaborator Kurser mans the boards, layering chopped guitar samples, street-ready synths over a slow-rolling breakbeat to timeless effect, and Sparks comes with bars to match. In between contemporary pop-culture references (“Lost control of your b*tch, I call ‘em Herman Cain.”) and tightly-wound trash-talk, the emcee gets a little personal, revealing, “While I fight the industry, my mama fightin’ cancer.” Needless to say, Spizzy and his kin will be in the Booth’s thoughts and prayers this holiday season—and, equally needless to say, you can keep your browsers locked for all the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 12/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)