If hip-hop could be said to be going through something akin to the European Renaissance—a period of renewed interest in classical sources accompanied by revolutionary progress in the arts and sciences—then K. Sparks just might be rap’s answer to Michelangelo. Still riding high off September’s release of his critically-acclaimed, DJBooth-sponsored Diagnosis: Success tape (available here for streaming/download), the Queens phenom (and freestyle series alum) returns to bring us a new promo single that epitomizes his old school-inspired, yet forward-looking brand of underground freshness. Frequent collaborator Kurser mans the boards, layering chopped guitar samples, street-ready synths over a slow-rolling breakbeat to timeless effect, and Sparks comes with bars to match. In between contemporary pop-culture references (“Lost control of your b*tch, I call ‘em Herman Cain.”) and tightly-wound trash-talk, the emcee gets a little personal, revealing, “While I fight the industry, my mama fightin’ cancer.” Needless to say, Spizzy and his kin will be in the Booth’s thoughts and prayers this holiday season—and, equally needless to say, you can keep your browsers locked for all the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 12/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.