When you’re as good at what you do as reader favorite, freestyle series contributor and all-around on-the-mic powerhouse K. Sparks, do you really need a concept in order to craft a high-caliber cut? Nah – for proof, just take a listen to the Queens phenom’s latest mixtape leak, a joint whose premise is as basic as it gets: “We be Kickin Rhymes, we be kickin rhymes, we be kickin we be kickin we be kickin rhymes…” And so on. A new addition to the artist’s roster of producers, Gym Crow proves a perfect match for Sparks’ style, serving up a sunny, summery, keyboard-driven sample as the emcee delivers his agile, allusive bars. Frequent partner-in-rhyme J.D. (True Dat, Rider...) takes center stage on the second and fourth verses, mixing wit with spirituality: “The present has my afterlife in check, you can cash that.” Fans can find this cut and plenty more of Sparks’ collaborative work on the Kevin Nottingham-presented second installment of The Trilogy; the Booth-sponsored Chapter 1 is, of course, still available for streaming and download!
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.