When you’re as good at what you do as reader favorite, freestyle series contributor and all-around on-the-mic powerhouse K. Sparks, do you really need a concept in order to craft a high-caliber cut? Nah – for proof, just take a listen to the Queens phenom’s latest mixtape leak, a joint whose premise is as basic as it gets: “We be Kickin Rhymes, we be kickin rhymes, we be kickin we be kickin we be kickin rhymes…” And so on. A new addition to the artist’s roster of producers, Gym Crow proves a perfect match for Sparks’ style, serving up a sunny, summery, keyboard-driven sample as the emcee delivers his agile, allusive bars. Frequent partner-in-rhyme J.D. (True Dat, Rider...) takes center stage on the second and fourth verses, mixing wit with spirituality: “The present has my afterlife in check, you can cash that.” Fans can find this cut and plenty more of Sparks’ collaborative work on the Kevin Nottingham-presented second installment of The Trilogy; the Booth-sponsored Chapter 1 is, of course, still available for streaming and download!
Written by richard on 07/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)