When you’re as good at what you do as reader favorite, freestyle series contributor and all-around on-the-mic powerhouse K. Sparks, do you really need a concept in order to craft a high-caliber cut? Nah – for proof, just take a listen to the Queens phenom’s latest mixtape leak, a joint whose premise is as basic as it gets: “We be Kickin Rhymes, we be kickin rhymes, we be kickin we be kickin we be kickin rhymes…” And so on. A new addition to the artist’s roster of producers, Gym Crow proves a perfect match for Sparks’ style, serving up a sunny, summery, keyboard-driven sample as the emcee delivers his agile, allusive bars. Frequent partner-in-rhyme J.D. (True Dat, Rider...) takes center stage on the second and fourth verses, mixing wit with spirituality: “The present has my afterlife in check, you can cash that.” Fans can find this cut and plenty more of Sparks’ collaborative work on the Kevin Nottingham-presented second installment of The Trilogy; the Booth-sponsored Chapter 1 is, of course, still available for streaming and download!
Written by richard on 07/21/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.