It’s no exaggeration to say that A Tribe Called Quest’s classic album Low End Theory is one of the biggest reasons I’ve devoted my professional life to hip-hop, so I’m instantly suspicious of anyone who dares touch their music…except consummate DJBooth-approved emcee K. Sparks. As I would have guessed, Sparks’ freestyle over the Tribe’s Jazz (We Got) is a more than worthy tribute. Jazz’s original ATCQ production remains thankfully unchanged - it’s hard to improve upon perfection - and impressively Sparks not only lyrically quotes the original, “the job of resurrectors is to wake up the dead,” but true Tribe fans will hear subtle references to Tip’s flow and cadence. (Plus it doesn’t hurt that he shouts out DJBooth.) Add in a mic contribution from Sparks’ Double-Up labelmate JD, playing the Phife Dawg role with a spitfire verse, and you’ve got a track guaranteed to send real hip-hop heads scrambling for their Low End Theory vinyl. Jazz (We Got) is the latest release off Sparks and Jeff Chery’s collaborative album Luck of the Draw, coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)