It’s no exaggeration to say that A Tribe Called Quest’s classic album Low End Theory is one of the biggest reasons I’ve devoted my professional life to hip-hop, so I’m instantly suspicious of anyone who dares touch their music…except consummate DJBooth-approved emcee K. Sparks. As I would have guessed, Sparks’ freestyle over the Tribe’s Jazz (We Got) is a more than worthy tribute. Jazz’s original ATCQ production remains thankfully unchanged - it’s hard to improve upon perfection - and impressively Sparks not only lyrically quotes the original, “the job of resurrectors is to wake up the dead,” but true Tribe fans will hear subtle references to Tip’s flow and cadence. (Plus it doesn’t hurt that he shouts out DJBooth.) Add in a mic contribution from Sparks’ Double-Up labelmate JD, playing the Phife Dawg role with a spitfire verse, and you’ve got a track guaranteed to send real hip-hop heads scrambling for their Low End Theory vinyl. Jazz (We Got) is the latest release off Sparks and Jeff Chery’s collaborative album Luck of the Draw, coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.