It’s no exaggeration to say that A Tribe Called Quest’s classic album Low End Theory is one of the biggest reasons I’ve devoted my professional life to hip-hop, so I’m instantly suspicious of anyone who dares touch their music…except consummate DJBooth-approved emcee K. Sparks. As I would have guessed, Sparks’ freestyle over the Tribe’s Jazz (We Got) is a more than worthy tribute. Jazz’s original ATCQ production remains thankfully unchanged - it’s hard to improve upon perfection - and impressively Sparks not only lyrically quotes the original, “the job of resurrectors is to wake up the dead,” but true Tribe fans will hear subtle references to Tip’s flow and cadence. (Plus it doesn’t hurt that he shouts out DJBooth.) Add in a mic contribution from Sparks’ Double-Up labelmate JD, playing the Phife Dawg role with a spitfire verse, and you’ve got a track guaranteed to send real hip-hop heads scrambling for their Low End Theory vinyl. Jazz (We Got) is the latest release off Sparks and Jeff Chery’s collaborative album Luck of the Draw, coming soon.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.