It’s no exaggeration to say that A Tribe Called Quest’s classic album Low End Theory is one of the biggest reasons I’ve devoted my professional life to hip-hop, so I’m instantly suspicious of anyone who dares touch their music…except consummate DJBooth-approved emcee K. Sparks. As I would have guessed, Sparks’ freestyle over the Tribe’s Jazz (We Got) is a more than worthy tribute. Jazz’s original ATCQ production remains thankfully unchanged - it’s hard to improve upon perfection - and impressively Sparks not only lyrically quotes the original, “the job of resurrectors is to wake up the dead,” but true Tribe fans will hear subtle references to Tip’s flow and cadence. (Plus it doesn’t hurt that he shouts out DJBooth.) Add in a mic contribution from Sparks’ Double-Up labelmate JD, playing the Phife Dawg role with a spitfire verse, and you’ve got a track guaranteed to send real hip-hop heads scrambling for their Low End Theory vinyl. Jazz (We Got) is the latest release off Sparks and Jeff Chery’s collaborative album Luck of the Draw, coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.