Don’t worry, Booth readers: on lead EP single Humble’s the New Cocky, K. Sparks isn’t suggesting rap transition from a braggadocio-based paradigm to a competition for who can be the most passive-aggressively modest. (Not unlike your average family dinner in my home state, the infamously “nice” Minnesota.) In fact, I’m forced to assume that the reader fave has a very different idea of what the word “modest” does than myself, or the dictionary, or anyone I’ve met, because the record packs all the tightly-wound braggadocio and trash-talk we’ve come to expect from the Queens flame-spitter. Introducing his beat with as campy snippet from Adam West’s classic Batman series, project collaborator iLL Sugi flips a warm vibraphone sample as the frestyle series alum bombards the competition with an onslaught of fresh and unpredictable lyrical barbs. Notably, he takes a shot at the increasing number of Big Apple emcees stepping outside their region: “A lot of New York rappers be soundin’ Down South / Soundin’ like a clown mouth, n*gga shut your damn mouth.” Feeling this head-noddable (and not remotely humble) lead effort? More dopeness awaits on Sparks and Sugi’s September Lounge EP, available here for digital purchase.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.